Health and safety on the job site is more important than ever. That includes controlling workplace hazards and using personal protective equipment when needed. In this article, we’ll outline the best practices for the proper use and care of reusable respirators.
1. Focus on fit
- Make sure the faceplate sits securely on your face without gaps.
- If adjusting the head strap doesn’t improve the fit, consider sizing down or up.
For more expert tips, watch this how-to video that demonstrates the correct way to assemble a reusable respirator.
2. Keep it clean
- Every day: Wipe down with a moist cloth or mild cleaning solution, or use a respirator cleaning wipe.
- Every 1 to 2 weeks: Disassemble the respirator and immerse the facepiece in warm (120° F or 49° C max) soapy water or other cleaning solution.
- As needed: Wipe down with a bleach solution or other disinfectant.
3. Keep it dry
Store respirator and cartridges in a clean, tightly closed bag away from moisture, sunlight and contaminants.
4. Change the cartridge
Filter cartridges last a maximum of six months once removed from the packaging. (Individual variables such as the environment, frequency of usage, and storage conditions will impact the lifespan of cartridges.) Replace the filter sooner if:
- It becomes difficult to breathe comfortably.
- The filter is damaged.
- The filter gets wet.
This video has more tips on when to replace cartridges and filters.
Where to get reusable respirators
To review reusable respirator options as well as other safety equipment, visit the Sherwin-Williams contractor website or use your PRO+ app.